Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bella's Mittens

If you have ever seen the movie "Twilight" than you may have noticed these mittens that Bella was wearing near the beginning of the movie. The scene where she slips on a sheet of ice and lands on her butt. I love these mittens. I love how they go up over the sleeves of her jacket. I've really wanted to knit up a pair for a while, and I have finally gotten around to it. Thankfully, I'm not the only one who likes these, and Marielle from Subliminal Rabbit whipped up a pattern! As we speak there are 2002 Bella's Mittens projects on Ravelry. I have now jumped on the bandwagon.


Yarn: Patons Classic Merino in Dark Grey Mix held double
Needles: KP Options US 10's/6mm - 32" length - Magic Looped
Verdict: Loved the pattern, very straightforward which a gal like me really appreciates. I wore these when I walked the kids to school this morning and my hands were toasty warm. I have almost a skeins worth of yarn leftover, so I'm going to knit up a matching cowl.


As promised in the last post, I bought a couple of rakes and got the kids to work! Actually, as soon as they saw the rakes they couldn't wait to get outside and rake up the biggest pile of leaves they could so they could jump in it. Maeghan even got out the wheelbarrow and carted a whole pile out to the front yard (where there were no leaves to begin with!), I'm still not really sure why, probably to decorate the front lawn or something like that. I had to put my foot down though and get her to clean it all up.

(don't you love the architectural element to our fence? I mean, why dig out the dead log....just build the fence AROUND it! Seriously?)



So we are starting to get ready for Halloween, the pumpkins are carved, the candy has been purchased, and costumes chosen. Maeghan will be the same witch that she has been for the last two years (yay! That girl takes after her mama in her thriftiness!), and Owen was going to be Spiderman, but has now decided on Darth Vader - either would have been fine as we already have costumes for both!



Have a great week, I'm back to work tomorrow (boo!), but will hopefully have some Halloweeny (Owen always laughs when I say Halloweeny - boys!) pictures for next week!



Happy Halloween(y)!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I am so going to make some of those Bella mittens! They've been in my queue but I just need to get around to it. Lukcily it's not "cold" here yet.
    Your fence is awesome. hahah! Our old house was full of weird stuff like that, maybe to a lesser degree though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You finished the mittens! They look so nice and warm! Love the picture of the kids raking leaves. I remember when Maeghan was about 18 months old and she was staying with us for a little while...it was around this time of year, too, and Dad made a teeny tiny rake for her so that she could rake leaves with us...then of course we buried her in the leaves and she loved that! Ahhh...memories....I probably have a picture of it somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Mittens!!!!!!!! Love them, they definetly look warm enough to hold the cold hands of a vampire. XO

    ReplyDelete