Monday, November 19, 2007

Oh boy...I'm in for it!

My ever growing children have shown me once again that I'd better start thinking of some suitable answers to some tough questions. Aunty Bronagh is in the hospital today having the baby!!! Yay!!! So this was obviously a topic in the car on the drive home today.

Owen wanted to know how the baby got out of Aunty Bronagh's tummy. So I tried to explain it as honestly as possible without grossing them out too much. Owen then wanted to know if the baby would be covered in pee...I said no...how about poo?...I said no once again. I really need to start thinking about these things in advance to come up with some better answers. They really had me stumped at first, I wasn't sure how much information they would be able to handle.

The second topic that threw me tonight was that Maeghan told me her boyfriend broke up with her. She's six. How can a six year old have a boyfriend? Does she really even know what that is? I asked her what he said to her and she told me that he just told her he didn't want to play with her, but that she was sure he was breaking up with her in his head. Once again, she's six. Does this already start at the age of six? Crazy, I thought I would have a few more years. How do I approach this in a way where she will always feel comfortable coming to me, and confiding things in me. What do I say to her? A couple weeks ago she told me she kissed a boy (the same boy) in the library at school. I asked her where and she told me on the lips. I told her that if she has to kiss a boy to please just do it on the cheek, because she doesn't want to get any germs and get sick. Hopefully this will stop the smooching. I want her to grow up with confidence in herself, and not be one of those girls that is always dependant on having a boyfriend so I also mentioned that it is WAY more fun to just be friends with boys than have them as boyfriends, especially at her age.

I'm probably reading too much into all of this, but I would appreciate any advice I can what I should be doing/saying. This is all new to me!

2 comments:

  1. and so it begins........ahahahaha!

    good luck and let me know all the answers so I can right them down for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is...life comes full circle. It's not easy raising kids, that's for sure! You try and do the best you can, and protect them and try and keep them from making mistakes (learning from your own experiences), but unfortunately they usually end up knowing better than you. Eventually when they grow up, they'll find out for themselves that mom and dad weren't so stupid and old fashioned, after all. Too bad it takes all those years until they grow up for them to figure that out! Let them know that they can come to you with anything, any time and that you will always be there for them. And if that doesn't work, you can send them up to Oma! (but not while they're teenagers! ha ha). Hang in there, Shanny. Love you lots. Mom xx

    ReplyDelete