Friday, April 11, 2008

FO: First Pair of Socks

Finally! After close to a year, I have completed my first pair of socks! Yipee! I didn't think that I would ever see this day!


Pattern: Harlot's basic sock recipe from Knitting Rules
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Mixed Berries
Needles: 2.25mm dpns

I have discovered that I don't like using bamboo sock needles as I am a fairly tight knitter and it was a lot of work sliding the work around on bamboo's. I switched to some Knit Picks steel dpns partway through the second sock and it was much better.

I had a few problems, I messed up the heel on the second sock, but really, who looks at the heel anyways? Also, my ssk's seem to be too loose as can be viewed in the sock on the right in the below picture. Specifically, where I am decreasing after picking up the stitches after the heel. You can see a line of holey, stretched stitches going down. Does anybody know a way to rememedy this? I don't want to always have a little line of holes running down my socks! The K2Tog's look fine though.


I enjoyed the process of learning to knit these socks. I had a hard time being motivated to do the second one, I found my hands cramped alot using the bamboo's. But now that I've switched, I think it will be better. I might try toe-up socks for my next pair as I had quite a bit of yarn left at the end and it would be nice to have used it all up.

This was my last WIP that needed to be finished before I was allowing myself to cast on for something else. It feels good to have nothing lingering in my knitting basket anymore, but it's making my hands itch to cast on for something new. I'm going to swatch for Green Gable tonight and hopefully cast on as well, if I have enough energy! I've also ordered yarn from the WEBS Anniversary Sale for the Central Park Hoodie. It is some Cascade 220 Heathers in Garnet. I've never used this yarn for something that I wasn't felting, I hope I don't find it too scratchy! I've heard the Heather's are a bit softer than the regular 220.

4 comments:

  1. very nice socks!! you will really enjoy them in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Nice! But are they really your first, I thought for sure that you had already made a pair, and in the same colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about a "rememedy" but I do know that I would LOVE a pair of these once you get good and fast at making them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! I have yet to knit a pair.....

    ReplyDelete