Sunday, August 2, 2009

Heat Wave!

Well I guess it's from one extreme to the next around here! Last post I was talking about how we were so cold in the house since we've turned the furnace off, now we are in a bit of a heat wave! My car thermometer registered 40 C (104 F) on my drive home from work the other day. Granted, the hot metal of the car usually ups the temp by a few degrees, but wow. For some of my friends who are used to this kind of heat (hi Charmaine who lives in Phoenix!!!) are probably rolling their eyes at me right now, but we do not have a pool in our backyard, nor do we have air conditioning. So to us, this is significant. I have been surviving by laying on the couch with a fan blasted right at me, spreading out as far as I can so none of my skin touches, and eating plenty of ice cream sandwiches. I've gained 3 pounds. I am so not made to live in the heat!

We had a family reunion yesterday - all the relatives from my mom's side of the family. It was pretty cool to see everyone - some I haven't see for at least 15 years! My cousin hosted at his home, a very beautiful home on acreage. There was so much to do. We spent the afternoon swimming in the pool, jumping on the trampoline and flying down the zip line!

Here the kids are getting ready to come flying down. It was soooo high up. I was really scared when it was my turn, it was so hard to step off the ledge! (I'm a big chicken.)










The smaller kids were just rippin' down. It was very fun. The event was catered courtesy of my cousin John (the host), and the food was FANTASTIC. I never in a million years expected such extravagance. I thought it was going to be hot dogs, hamburgers, and pasta salad - typical BBQ fair, but instead there was Fillet Mignon, salmon, brisket, so many salads and yummy vegetables., and chocolate fondue for dessert. It was heaven.
Here's Maeghan with a couple of cousins (my second cousins) whom she has never met. The girls were inseparable. They had a great time. It was especially nice for Maeghan because on Aidan's side of the family there are no other girls her age. And in our immediate family no girls at all. So she was really thrilled, I hope we can keep in touch with everyone a little bit better.


Tomorrow evening we are having a family dinner to celebrate my brother Darren's 30th birthday (Happy Birthday Darren!) and my Dad's 61st Birthday (Happy Birthday Dad!). Their birthdays are 3 days apart, as well as Aidan and I having our wedding anniversary right in between! It will be 7 years this year. Time flies!
I'm going to need this weather to cool down a bit if there's going to be any knitting in the near future. I'm trying to think of a project to take along to Oregon this summer (road trip!). Something small, and portable. Maybe I'll start some of those Ribby Slippers fr0m last year's IK Gifts. They would make good gifts. Or perhaps a lacy scarf for me. Hmmm, I'll have to think on it a bit more. Have a great weekend everyone! Happy BC Day! I love long weekends!




5 comments:

  1. I must have sensed you posted something cause I haven't checked in to blogger for a while. I want to be friends with your cousin and come to hang out too, that sounded like a great time. I have to admit that even after a few years here I would still rather be cold than too hot. Big hugs to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...the family reunion was awesome! And I never expected all that fabulous food, either...and the huge tents, etc. Wow! And the zip line: it scared me a bit when the kids were up there...but it looked like a lot of fun! I'm pretty sure I would've tried it, too, if my back hadn't been bugging me...yeah, I know, it sounds like an excuse, but seriously, I would have! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice property!!! I am glad you guys had a great time, and I am glad Maeghan finally has some girl cousins in her life, and ones that look like her to boot!!

    XO

    PS Thanks Marg for the colouring book & crayons, Ryder tore into it right away, he had so much fun he just didn't want to stop so he coloured his wagon, and the fridge and the screen door.....all the while his parents were distracted by Robin and Darren, hmmmm I smell a set up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon your are such a good writer! It's been months since I've been on here last but everytime I come back you still amaze me! No..I'm not sucking up, c'mon !

    I know, the food and never ending adventures at John and Ineke's was awesome, wasn't it! I truly hope to live like that one day. You guys can live in the guest house...hee,hee!

    Mom, your family is soo nice! good to see Oma there too!

    Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scary! That zip line would freak me out! I think it is fantastic that your kids do that. What a fun experience all around!

    ReplyDelete