Friday, May 16, 2008

FO: Red (Green) Gable

Shhhhh.....what's that noise? You don't hear anything? Me neither!!! My house is silent. The kids have gone over to Saltspring Island to visit some friends with Aidan, I couldn't go because I have to work all weekend. While going to Saltspring would have been lovely, being home alone for 3 days has it's merits too! It does feel pretty strange though. I got home from work and the house was silent. I had to turn on the TV so I wouldn't feel so lonely. It takes some getting used to, I have hit the ground running after work every day for the last seven years, and to come home today to an empty house and nothing to do was pretty wierd. I'm sure I will get over it though and start relishing in the alone time.

I have finished up Green Gable, although mine is red. I love it! It fits so well, the Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece is really nice to knit with and feels lovely against the skin.


Here are the specs:
Pattern: Green Gable by the Zephyr Gals
Size: XS
Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in "Candy Apple"
Needles: US 7's/4.5mm
Mod's: I added a few extra rows before removing the sleeves and I added some extra waist shaping. I also knit to a total length of 16", measured from the armpit to the hem. It's a good length. I was worried it would still be a bit short, so I increased the ribbed hem from 3 rows to 5 rows. I did a row of single crochet around the neckline to help prevent the "curl" problem that so many other people were having.

I LOVE it. Aidan told me it is the nicest thing I've knit yet!


In other news, I had a good 5 inches cut off my hair yesterday. It feels so light, and I really like the style, for once. Usually I get home from the salon and just think "meh", but this time I really like it. But I guess it is often that way when it gets blown out and styled by a professional. We'll see how it is when I have to do it myself! I noticed that my hairdresser had curly hair so she probably would be a good person to cut Maeghan's hair. I asked her, and she said that she is quite experienced at dealing with curly hair (this is a must or you get someone who cut's the standard "poodle doo" - although, my fingers are crossed because this girl was maybe pushing 19 - how much experience could she possibly have on someone other than herself?) I told her I would bring Maeghan in to have her hair cut soon and she then went on about how she could show Maeghan how to just wash and go/diffuse her hair if she was running late for work or something...........

Talk about making someone feel old. She thought I was old enough to have a daughter who was old enough to work. Maeghan's 7 for Pete's sake, just how old do I look? But I guess I can't get too upset, when I was 19 I thought 32 year old's were ancient too!

8 comments:

  1. Your Red Gable looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on the Green (red) Gable!! it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful! Love the colour, too. Enjoy your alone time, you don't get much of it, that's for sure. Even if you don't do anything productive, who cares? Just sit back and put your feet up. Before you know it, they'll be back and you'll wonder if they ever left in the first place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red Gable looks great! Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you enjoyed your quiet time. The sweater is gorgeous, very nice job.

    Be very very careful!! Even hairdressers with naturally curly hair cannot!!! be trusted. Trust me. I have had a few and none of them were any better than the non curly hair hairdressers. Remember the lady who did my wedding hair, well even she had naturally curly hair, she was the top hair dresser, and even she failed me! She used a curling iron and a can of hair spray to do my hair!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Red Gable rocks!! I need to make myself another one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. see, I love you so much that I'm reading your blog from Moscow! :o) nice work on the sweater! how come you didn't post pictures of your hair cut? email me one! love you uber lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great! Awesome color! Looking forward to seeing your next project.

    ReplyDelete