Sunday, October 26, 2008

Attack of the Gecko's!

I'm not very good at crochet. I find it frustrating and a little painful, yet I managed to whip off five of these cute little gecko bookmarks this week.



The kids are having a craft fair at school for a fundraiser. Every parent is supposed to donate at least 5 items that the kids can then purchase at the fair to give as gifts to family and friends at Christmas. I found it a bit hokey that I had to first pay for the supplies, take time to make the crafts, and then give my kids money so they could purchase things. I'm trying not to be grouchy about the whole thing, but it would have been much easier just to write the PAC (Parent Advisory Council) a check, kwim? This has not been the only fundraiser, it is one of many, and it is only October. At this rate I will need to quit my full-time job just to be able to take part in all of the fundraising!

Anyhoo...enough of my grumbling...look at the pretty gecko!


Ooohhhh, another one!



Pattern: Gecko Bookmark by Lion Brand Yarn
Yarn: the light green ones are Lion Wool, and the darker greens are a mystery yarn that my mom gave me. I think the ones in the mystery yarn turned out better, they are a bit smaller and drapier, perfect for a bookmark.
Hook: 3.5mm (E)
Mods: The first Gecko I made I crocheted as directed, all in pieces, this left a lot of ends to weave in which was quite annoying. So for the next 4 I decided to crochet all in one piece. First I made the body as directed, then I slip stitched around to each of the legs and tail and made them as I got to the right space. I think they turned out great!



I attempted to make some Frog heads with great long tongues that were the bookmark part of it, but I couldn't manage to make the head so I got frustrated and gave up. I know I just need more practice, but I'm not sure if crochet is my "thing", even though you can make such cute things like Gecko Bookmarks doing it. (Okay, as I read back that last sentence it sounds really dirty...get your minds out of the gutter people! That is so not what I meant!!!)

I hope you don't get the wrong idea from all of my grumbling above...I really do enjoy helping out at my kids school, I just wish I had more time for it! Hope you all had a great weekend! See you soon.



9 comments:

  1. They are really really cute, Shan! They're kinda like the ones I made for the grandkids...the fridge-magnet octopus and the crab... I don't remember the other ones. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute.

    I am a little sad and disappointed with myself but I couldn't figure out the dirty part......what's happening to me.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't love crochet either. Very cute gecko's. The kids have already had three fundraisers this year, it's going to make me go broke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Connie: "You can make cute things such as Gecko bookmarks DOING IT. Apparently I have the only mind in the gutter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh! those are so cute.
    i should really learn how to crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those cute little guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those are so cute! Those alone make me want to learn how to crochet.

    I know absolutely *nothing* about crocheting. Is it easier/harder than knitting? Or is that like comparing apples to oranges? What's the real difference, other than crocheting has a hook, and knitting doesn't? Do you use similar stitches? I suppose I could/should look this up...

    ReplyDelete